Advertisement

Smurgling

topic posted Fri, May 27, 2005 - 6:33 AM by  Michelle
Share/Save/Bookmark
Anyone else have a cat that smurgles? I had a blue point that liked to suck on my pillowcases (had to put a stop to that) and a seal point that liked to suck on a particular blanket or the carpet. I've heard that it is a siamese "thing" and I just wondered if anyone else has seen this.
posted by:
Michelle
Kansas
Advertisement
  • Re: Smurgling

Fri, May 27, 2005 - 8:02 AM
    my blue point karma doesnt just suck on stuff, she chews it. i dont think i have any socks without holes in them. and i had this beautiful hemp j jill sweater, cost me $80, and i'd hand washed it and hung it over the back of a chair to dry. came home and it was under the chair, i picked it up and there was a hole in the front big enough to put my head through! needless to say i was PISSED. but i learned to keep anything like that out of karmas reach. she also LOVES my hair scrunchies, but i'm willing to share those with her. my lilac point brandy doesnt do this, she just barfs everywhere.

Wed, June 8, 2005 - 10:43 AM
      I just read that cats who suck on cotton or wool were weaned too early from their mothers. The book said that they are still 'nursing' and that it can clog their systems, so keep an eye on kitty.
  • Unsu...

Re: Smurgling

Thu, August 18, 2005 - 3:22 PM
    Actually, this behavior is a feline one, "not" exclusive to certain breeds. It's the same thing as when a cat kneeds with her claws, remembering the instincts to suckle as a kitten. I always see these behaviors as cute, b/c even if it isn't scientifically proven, it seems affectionate to me. One behavior that IS typically Siamese, is being very vocal, or some call it "noisy".....I love that about Siamese.......

Fri, January 6, 2006 - 5:19 PM
    I had a kitten that came from a house where he was not used to humans at all ( probably should not have brought him with me, but, hey, .... ) so he looked at us all as if we were going to kill and barbeque him then and there, and then we came home and he saw our 4 year old siamese tomcat.... "oh, a cat !!! A real cat ! Wonderful !! Can I please-please-please stay with you sir ???" The old one did agree to have him tag along ( he walked were Sam walked, ate what Sam ate, slept with Sam, trying to copy Sam's position in sleep, if Sam turned over so did he, eveything ) and under Sam's instruction he learned that humans are not-dangerous and even fun, but Sam drew the line firmly at one thing : he could NOT suck his nipples, that was WEIRD ! So they had a compromise : he could suck on a tuft of hair on Sam's belly, and since he soon grew a lot bigger than Sam, it was a rather comic sight : the big blob ecstatically sucking and kneading and purring on much-smaller tom-cat Sammy's belly... I think it's just like human children, where some never suck their thumb and some can't kick the habit until in their teens. And insecure kids need it more.

Wed, August 26, 2009 - 2:42 PM
    I have a cat that I fostered and then kept. She was the runt of the litter and like the others was bottle fed. Maybe because we bonded like this has caused her to think of me as mommy. She usually only does this when I go to bed. Then afterwards she curls up under my chin and puts her legs around me. I love it, though at times it can be annoying because she also wants to lick my face. And at 4am mind you.

Thu, December 17, 2009 - 11:13 AM
    Have you talked to your vet? Smurgling might mean itchy/irritated gums which might mean dental/gum disease. My vet told me that Siamese cats, as compared to other breeds of cats, have higher incidents of tooth/gum issues. What does your kitty's breath smell like? If the smurgling is a sign that there are dental issues, then the cat's breath will be bad as well. I had dental problems with my Siamese (and my tabby as well) and he had the most toxic breath - such a stench coming from such a little creature!

Recent topics in "Meezers Rule!"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Ocicat Thera. Oh g... 0 April 17, 2010
Play biting & kicking Nancy 0 December 12, 2009
taking her thyroid pill Caitlin 2 April 19, 2008
Meezer Care Thera. Oh g... 2 May 23, 2007
Alpha cat syndrome Caitlin 14 December 9, 2006